Dennis Scott, Chair - Cultural Integrator
- 7th Generation Black Canadian
- Descendent of Slaves - Kentucky, North & South Carolina, New York State
- Multicultural - Canadian, British, French, American, Native American, Jamaican, Costa Rican
- Business Owner, Scott & Associates Consulting
- Cultural Integrator, Proponent on Integration/Inclusion & Collaboration
- Former Executive Director/Board Member, Habitat for Humanity Grey Bruce
- Former Board Member: Hamilton Media Advisory Committee
- Former 11 year Chair, Emancipation Celebration Festival, Owen Sound
- Former Board Member: John Holland Awards, Hamilton
- 11 Year Chair, Grey County Black History Education Conference
- Co-Founder Chair, International Emancipation Children’s Fund
- Chair, Halton Black History Awareness Society (2015)
- 2012 Recipient of the John Holland Community Service Award
- 2011 Recipient of the Ontario Heritage Trust “Certificate of Achievement” Award
- 2011 Recipient of the City of Owen Sound Certificate of Community Recognition
Francesca Durham, Project Curator, Emancipation Art Exhibition
Former HBHAS Vice Chair, Francesca Durham is a self-improvement and personal development Life Coach and mentor. After 20 years in corporate HR and recruitment an opportunity to expand independently presented itself. Today Francesca helps clients transition through major life crisis opening a pathway for re-discovering their potential. MUSIC and MARI expressive art workshops facilitated by Francesca are uniquely created for such self-discovery. Each workshop provides an experience to uplift and improves well-being.
Francesca’s therapeutic harp practice helps long term health care facilities provide life-enriching experiences to dementia and Alzheimer sufferers. In her practice, she also serves palliative care and hospice, those suffering from chronic pain, MS, Cancer and Strokes. She is a certified therapeutic harp practitioner and clinical musician. Francesca also enjoys mentoring students from the Harp For Healing program while balancing her day to day activities.
Francesca has self-published two books is a certified Colour Life Coach, Colortime® Image Consultant and when not blogging or writing she enjoys spoiling her 4lb Yorkie with lots of play time and nature walks.
Francesca volunteered in friendly visiting and hospice for over a decade. Today, she regularly volunteers at The Darling Home For Kids in Milton and most recent, Tansley Woods long term care facility in Burlington. To learn more about Francesca please visit:
Judy Gibson, Board Secretary - Fundraising & Event Management
Lisa Scott, Director - Corporate & Public Relations, Sponsorship
Lisa S.J. Scott – Life Coach, Corporate & Institutional Strategy Consultant, Master Trainer & Change Facilitator
- Director Public Relations/Board of Directors, Halton Black History Awareness Society
- Former Director Public Relations/Board of Directors Emancipation Festival
- Director & Co-Founder: International Emancipation Children’s Fund;
- Black History Educator: Emancipation Festival World Vision Relations Director
- Forte in Executive and Leadership Development, Employee Coaching, and Employee Relations Consulting
- Business degree and certification in the Harvard School of Business Strategic Planning Process
Cam Tu Le, Director - Treasurer
Cam Tu is a professional accounting specialist with more than ten years of experience in a magnitude of accounting functions with a specialization in management accounting.
With a passion for helping others, Cam Tu enjoys volunteering as a financial advisor for local charity organizations and was part of the CRA affiliated Community Volunteer Income Tax Return Program for many years. Cam Tu held several senior positions at a leading manufacturing company and is currently pursuing dual designations, Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) and Certified Payroll Management (CPM).
As a Vietnamese – Canadian citizen, Cam Tu values and respect culturally diverse societies and support the effort of maintaining and embracing each culture in every community
Melanie Southern, Director - Museums & Libraries
Moving to Halton in 2000, Melanie has been an active community member. Committed to public services, She has worked in Burlington and Milton library systems in different leadership roles with the goal of building stronger communities.
A life-long learner, Melanie also demonstrates a passion for empowering others. She was recently awarded a Diploma in Public Administration from Western University and is working towards her coaching certification through the Canadian Curling Association and Coaching Association of Canada.
Melanie currently works at Hamilton Public Library as the Director of Public Service - Partnerships & Communication.
Rob Green, Vice Chair
Mr. Green is a retired drama teacher and is currently an actor, singer/songwriter and producer of his own original music. He has served as a teacher for the Hamilton-Wentworth School Board in Hamilton, Ontario for 37 years. He initiated the Drama program at his high school and became the Assistant Head of the English department. teaching Drama and English in Canadian schools.
Mr. Green has an avid interest in the development of Black Canadian culture and grew up in the Owen Sound BME church where his great grandfather was once an elder deacon.
Mr. Green has won the Excellence in Education Award and in the past been nominated for the Reverend John C. Holland Award, and participated in presentation for the Ontario Black History Society and The Speakers Corner for Emancipation Celebration Picnic 2014. civic groups dedicated to the advancement of Black Canadians.
Mr. Green's first CD..."Soul Dancing" was nominated for best Indie Album in 2013 and was Highlighted In CBC's talent search out performing numerous other contestants.
Mr. Green is a graduate of University of Guelph with a Specialized Honours in Drama, The University of London (Allthouse Teachers College) with a Bachelor of Education and The University of Toronto (Faculty of Education) Honours Specialist in Drama
Dejehan Hamilton, Director
Please ... help fund this worthy project with a donation!